Samurai Steak Salad
Tossed spinach, bean sprouts and onions topped with sliced top sirloin and enoki mushrooms. Served with warm sweet and spicy dressing.
Yield: 24 servings
1. Combine soy sauce, sugar, ginger and garlic. Reserve 1/2 cup marinade. Place beef in large shallow pan. Pour remaining marinade over beef. Cover and refrigerate beef 4 to 6 hours.
2. Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade. Grill steaks as needed 8 to 10 minutes to desired doneness, turning once. Keep hot.
|Reduced-sodium soy sauce||2 cups|
|Ginger, grated||3 ounces|
|Garlic, minced||2 ounces|
|Beef Loin, Top Sirloin Butt Steaks, Boneless, 1 inch thick (IMPS/NAMP 1184A)||6 pounds|
| || |
3. Toss spinach, bean sprouts and onion.
|Spinach leaves, torn||3 pounds|
|Fresh bean sprouts||1 pound|
|Red onion, thinly sliced into rings||1 pound|
4. Place reserved marinade in a saucepan. Add catsup, vinegar, sugar, vegetable oil and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in sesame oil. Keep warm.
|Rice wine vinegar||1 cup|
|Vegetable oil||1/2 cup|
|Hot pepper sauce||1 tablespoon|
|Oriental dark-roasted sesame oil||1 tablespoon|
| || |
5. Slice steak into thin slices. For each serving: Plate about 3 ounces spinach mixture; top with 3 ounces sliced beef. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds.
Garnish with mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. Serve with warm dressing.
BUFFET - a cafeteria serving option: Place spinach mixture in a large bowl. Put grilled steak slices in warming pan or chafing pan. Have server portion about 3 ounces spinach mixture and 3 ounces sliced beef on plate.
Serve with warm dressing, sesame seeds and garnishes.
|Sesame seeds, toasted||1/4 cup|
|Enoki mushrooms|| as needed|
|Cherry tomatoes|| as needed|
Nutrition information per serving: 281 calories; 11 g fat(3 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 70 mg cholesterol; 614 mg sodium; 15 g carbohydrate; 2.2 g fiber; 30 g protein; 11.6 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mg vitamin B12; 3.6 mg iron; 31.5 mg selenium; 5.3 mg zinc; 115.8 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline.