Peking Steak Bites
Seems like Chinese-style bao buns are the hottest news in hand-held. And nothing puts “wow” on a bao like thin slices of grilled five-spice-seasoned Flat Iron steak with creamy hoisin peanut sauce and scallion oil. Looking to serve a small plate that makes a big statement? Slice up some steak and bao down.
Yield: 24 servings
|Marinated Steak:|| |
1. To make Marinated Steak: Combine oil, salt and five-spice in large non-reactive container. Add beef steaks; turn to coat. Refrigerate, covered, 20 minutes to 2 hours, turning beef once during marinating.
Yield: 2-1/4 cups
|Canola oil||1 quart|
|Kosher salt||1/4 cup|
|Chinese five-spice powder||1/4 cup|
|Beef Shoulder Flat Iron Steaks (Flat Iron) (IMPS/NAMP 1114D, PSO1) 24 each||9 pounds|
|Hoisin Peanut Sauce:|| |
2. To make Hoisin Peanut Sauce: Combine peanut sauce ingredients in medium sauce pan and bring to a simmer, whisking until smooth; keep warm until ready to use.
Yield: 3 cups
|Creamy peanut butter||9 ounces|
|Hoisin sauce||1 cup|
|Grated fresh ginger||1 ounce|
|Oyster sauce||2 tablespoons|
|Asian sesame oil||2 tablespoons|
|Reduced-sodium soy sauce||2 tablespoons|
|Red wine vinegar||4 teaspoons|
|Vietnamese chili-garlic sauce||2 teaspoons|
|Scallion Oil:|| |
3. To make Scallion Oil: Place scallion oil ingredients in blender. Cover; process until puréed. Set aside.
Yield: 2/3 cup
|Chopped green onions (green and white parts)||3 ounces|
|Canola oil||3/8 cup|
|Kosher salt||1/8 teaspoon|
|Per Order:|| |
4. For each serving, to order: Grill 1 steak to medium rare to medium doneness. Carve into 1/4-inch-thick slices; keep warm. Steam 3 buns until warm. Spread 1 Tbsp Hoisin Peanut Sauce inside each bun. Divide beef slices evenly between buns; drizzle with 1/2 tsp. Scallion Oil. Close buns. Plate and garnish with green onions. Drizzle plate with scallion oil.
|Julienned green onions || as needed|
| || |
* Gwa pao buns may be substituted for Bao bun – also called “steam buns.” Ask your local foodservice distributor.
|Chinese steamed buns (bao buns or gwa pao buns)||72 each|
Nutrition information per serving: 336 calories; 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 9 g monounsaturated fat); 36 mg cholesterol; 308 mg sodium; 29 g carbohydrate; 1.4 g fiber; 16 g protein; 3.5 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 2.5 mcg vitamin B12; 1.4 mg iron; 16.4 mcg selenium; 4.0 mg zinc; 48.3 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of niacin and vitamin B6.