Beefy Italian Dunkers
Thick Italian ground beef sauce served with crispy cheese toasts for dunking.
Yield: 100 servings
| || |
1. Place ground beef in steam kettle. Cook beef until no longer pink, using kettle whip to break beef up into 1/4 to 1/2 inch crumbles. Turn off heat.
2. Thoroughly drain fat from beef by pulling whip through beef in circular motion and then zig-zag-stir through all sections of beef.
|Ground Beef (IMPS/NAMP 136)||10 pounds|
| || |
3. Add enough water just to cover beef. Stir by pulling whip through beef in circular motion and then zig-zag-stir through all sections of beef. Thoroughly drain fat and liquid from beef, repeating zig-zag-stir procedure.
|Hot water||1 gallon|
| || |
4. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, onions, beef base, garlic powder, brown sugar, chili powder, oregano, parsley, basil, salt and white pepper; mix well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 1 hour, stirring frequently.
|Canned crushed tomatoes||2 no. 10 cans|
|Tomato paste||2 1/2 quarts|
|Dehydrated minced onion||1 cup|
|Low-sodium beef base||1/3 cup|
|Garlic powder||1/4 cup|
|Brown sugar||1/4 cup|
|Chili powder||3 tablespoons|
|Dried oregano||3 tablespoons|
|Dried parsley flakes||3 tablespoons|
|Dried basil||2 tablespoons|
|Ground white pepper||1 tablespoon|
| || |
5. For each serving: Sprinkle each bread slice with 1 ounce cheese. Bake until cheese melts and begins to brown. Serve with 1/2 cup (#8 ladle) beef mixture.
NOTE: French bread slices, bread sticks or crispy potato wedges may be substituted for Italian bread.
|Italian bread||100 slices|
|Part skim mozzarella cheese, sliced||6 1/2 pounds|
Nutrition information per serving: 306 calories; 14 g fat(6 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 45 mg cholesterol; 706 mg sodium; 24 g carbohydrate; 2.7 g fiber; 23 g protein; 4.6 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 1.0 mg vitamin B12; 2.9 mg iron; 15.6 mg selenium; 2.5 mg zinc; 34.6 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B12 and selenium; and a good source of fiber, vitamin B6, iron and zinc