Ground beef mixed with onions, mustard and pickle relish, topped with Cheddar cheese and wrapped in a pastry shell.
Yield: 100 servings
|Beef Mixture:|| |
1. Brown beef with onions. Drain.
2. Add ketchup, mustard, relish and salt, if desired. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Portion about 2 ounces of meat mixture using a #24 scoop (heaping) onto each 5-1/2-inch pastry square.
4. Sprinkle meat mixture with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese.
5. Combine eggs and water to form a glaze. Brush edges of square with egg glaze; fold over to form a triangle. Seal edges with the tines of a fork.
6. Brush turnover top with egg glaze. Cut 3 slits to allow steam to escape.
7. Place on a sheet pan and bake 18 to 20 minutes in a 400°F conventional oven or 12 to 14 minutes in a 375°F convection oven.
|Ground Beef (IMPS/NAMP 136)||10 pounds|
|Onions, chopped||1 quart|
|Chili sauce||1 quart|
|Prepared mustard||2 cups|
|Pickle relish, drained||2 cups|
|Pastry squares|| na|
|Cheddar cheese||3 pieces|
|Eggs, beaten||4 cups|
8. Measure flour into large mixer bowl.
9. Blend in shortening with wire whisk on low speed of mixer, about 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture resembles small peas.
10. Change mixer to flat paddle; mix in water slowly on low about 30 seconds to 1 minute or until mixture forms a ball. (Dough may be refrigerated for up to 6 days after this point.)
11. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface 1/8 to 1/16 inch thick.
12. Cut into 25, 5-1/2-inch squares.
NOTE: Turnovers can be made ahead and baked as needed. Contributes to meal pattern requirements: 2 oz.. Meat/meat alternate; 1 serving bread.
|All-purpose flour||13 1/4 pounds|
|Shortening, chilled||5 1/4 pounds|
|Ice water||6 - 8 cups|
Nutrition information per serving: 618 calories; 35 g fat(16 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 98 mg cholesterol; 512 mg sodium; 53 g carbohydrate; 1.7 g fiber; 19 g protein; 8.0 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 1.0 mg vitamin B12; 3.9 mg iron; 32.2 mg selenium; 3.1 mg zinc; 65.0 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of vitamin B6 and choline