Hot Roast Beef Sandwich and Mashed Potatoes
Pepper-rubbed roast beef, sliced thin and layered on bread. Served with mashed potatoes and gravy.
Yield: 100 servings
| || |
1. Trim fat from beef roasts; season with pepper. Place on racks in shallow roasting pans, grouping roasts by size. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer into center of smallest roast so that tip is not touching fat or gristle.
Do not cover; do not add liquid.
2. Conventional oven; 325°F. Convection oven: 275°F. Roast in preheated oven 8 to 23 minutes per pound or until internal temperature reaches 150°F to 155°F. Remove smaller roasts from pan at desired temperature.
Transfer thermometer to next larger roast and repeat procedure until all roasts are cooked.
3. Tent roasts with aluminum foil; let stand 5 to 20 minutes. Temperature will continue to rise 5°F to 10°F to reach medium doneness (160°F).
4. Using meat slicer, slice roasts thinly across the grain for optimum tenderness.
|Beef Round, Top (Inside) (IMPS/NAMP 169)||20 pounds|
| || |
5. Heat gravy. Stir in parsley.
|Prepared beef gravy||1 3/4 gallons|
|Dried parsley flakes||1 cup|
| || |
6. Spread each bread slice with about 2 teaspoons ketchup. For each serving: Plate 1 bread slice top with 2 ounces beef. Portion 1/2 cup potatoes next to sandwich. Ladle 1/4 cup (#16 ladle) gravy over sandwich and potatoes.
|White bread||100 slices|
|Hot mashed potatoes||12 1/2 quarts|
|Alternate Fresh Beef Cuts:|| || |
|Beef Round, Knuckle, peeled, tied (IMPS/NAMP 167A)||20 pounds|
|Beef Round, Outside Round (Flat) (IMPS/NAMP 171B)||20 pounds|
Nutrition information per serving: 305 calories; 7 g fat(2 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 50 mg cholesterol; 1005 mg sodium; 35 g carbohydrate; 2.8 g fiber; 25 g protein; 6.5 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 1.1 mg vitamin B12; 3.0 mg iron; 21.3 mg selenium; 3.8 mg zinc; 73.1 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber, vitamin B6, iron and choline