Beefy Italian Sandwiches
Slices of roast beef topped with tomato sauce and two cheeses layered on a fresh bread loaf and cut into bite-sized pieces.
Yield: 100 servings
| || |
1. Trim fat from beef roasts; rub all over with seasonings. Place on racks in shallow roasting pans, grouping roasts by size. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer into center of smallest roast so that tip is not touching fat or gristle.
Do not cover; do not add liquid.
2. Conventional oven: 325°F. Convection oven: 275°F. Roast in preheated oven 18 to 23 minutes per pound or until internal temperature reaches 150°F to 155°F.
Remove smaller roasts from pan at desired temperature; transfer thermometer to next larger roast and repeat procedure until all roasts are cooked.
3. Tent roasts with aluminum foil; let stand 15 to 20 minutes. Temperature will continue to rise 5°F to 10°F to reach medium doneness (160°F).
4. Using meat slicer, slice roasts thinly across the grain for optimum tenderness.
|Round, Top (Inside) Round Steaks (IMPS/NAMP 1169)||20 pounds|
|Dried basil||4 teaspoons|
|Garlic powder||4 teaspoons|
|Dried oregano||4 teaspoons|
| || |
5. Heat spaghetti sauce. Add beef slices to sauce; heat through.
|Canned spaghetti sauce||1 gallon|
| || |
6. Cut each bread loaf horizontally in half. Layer 8 ounces beef and 10 ounces sauce on bottom of each loaf. Sprinkle with cheese; cover with tops of bread loaves. Cut each crosswise into 4 sandwiches.
For each serving: Portion 1 sandwich.
|Italian bread loaves (14 inches long; 8 ounces each)||25|
|Mozzarella cheese, shredded|| as needed|
|Parmesan cheese, grated|| as needed|
|Alternate Fresh Beef Cuts:|| || |
|Beef Round, Knuckle, peeled, tied (IMPS/NAMP 167A)||20 pounds|
|Round, Bottom (Gooseneck), Heel Out (IMPS/NAMP 170A)||20 pounds|
Nutrition information per serving: 300 calories; 6 g fat(2 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 58 mg cholesterol; 453 mg sodium; 33 g carbohydrate; 3.0 g fiber; 28 g protein; 7.9 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 1.2 mg vitamin B12; 3.5 mg iron; 25.4 mg selenium; 3.9 mg zinc; 88.3 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber and choline