Mexican Flank Steak and Pepper Stir-Fry Salad
Spicy marinated flank steak grilled and tossed with stir-fried peppers and onions, and served on a bed of romaine lettuce.
Yield: 24 servings
| || |
1. Combine lemon juice, oil, jalapeno peppers, cilantro, salt and black pepper; cover and refrigerate 1 cup marinade. Pour remaining marinade over beef. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 8 hours.
|Lemon juice||1 1/3 cups|
|Olive oil||1 1/3 cups|
|Jalapeno peppers, minced||1 1/2 cups|
|Cilantro, minced||1/4 cup|
|Black pepper, freshly ground||4 teaspoons|
|Beef Flank Steak (IMPS/NAMP 193)||6 pounds|
| || |
2. Heat oil, cumin, oregano and garlic in large non-stick fry pan over medium-high heat until hot. Add onions and peppers; stir-fry 2 to 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; cool slightly.
|Vegetable oil||1/4 cup|
|Ground cumin||4 teaspoons|
|Dried oregano||4 teaspoons|
|Garlic, minced||1 tablespoon|
|Onions, sliced into thin wedges||4 medium|
|Red bell pepper, sliced into strips||4|
|Jalapeno peppers, seeded and cut into slivers||4 - 8|
| || |
3. Toss vegetable mixture with lettuce; reserve.
4. Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Grill 12 to 15 minutes or to desired doneness, turning once and basting occasionally with reserved marinade. Slice steaks thinly across grain.
5. For each serving: Plate 3/4 cup lettuce mixture; top with 3 ounces steak slices.
|Romaine lettuce, sliced 1/4 inch||3 quarts|
|Alternate Fresh Beef Cuts:|| || |
|Beef Loin, Top Sirloin Butt Steaks, Center-Cut, Boneless (IMPS/NAMP 1184B)||6 pounds|
|Round, Top (Inside) Round Steaks (IMPS/NAMP 1169)||6 pounds|
Nutrition information per serving: 272 calories; 17 g fat(4 g saturated fat; 8 g monounsaturated fat); 66 mg cholesterol; 247 mg sodium; 5 g carbohydrate; 1.6 g fiber; 25 g protein; 9.9 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mg vitamin B12; 2.1 mg iron; 27.4 mg selenium; 4.5 mg zinc; 96.0 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron and choline