Cubed beef simmered with bell peppers, onions and apples, and served on a bed of rice with almonds and raisins.
Yield: 24 servings
| || |
1. Brown beef in oil in large braising pan over medium-high heat.
|Vegetable oil||1/2 cup|
|Beef for Stewing (IMPS/NAMP 135A), diced 3/4-inch||6 pounds|
| || |
2. Add onions, celery, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, garlic and ginger to beef; cook and stir 5 minutes.
|Onions, chopped||2 pounds|
|Celery, sliced||1 pound|
|Green bell pepper, sliced 1/4-inch||12 ounces|
|Red bell pepper, sliced 1/4-inch||12 ounces|
|Yellow bell pepper, sliced 1/4-inch||12 ounces|
|Garlic, minced||3 ounces|
|Ginger, minced||3 ounces|
| || |
3. Stir flour, stock, lime juice, curry powder, red pepper flakes, cumin, coriander, cloves, and cardamom into beef mixture; bring to boil. Cover; simmer about 1 hour until beef is tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in apples; simmer 15 minutes. Keep warm.
|Flour, sifted||1 cup|
|Chicken stock||2 quarts|
|Lime juice||6 tablespoons|
|Mild curry powder||2 tablespoons|
|Red pepper flakes||1 - 2 teaspoons|
|Ground cumin||2 teaspoons|
|Ground coriander||2 teaspoons|
|Ground cloves||1 1/2 teaspoons|
|Ground cardamom||1/2 teaspoon|
|Apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks||2 pounds|
| || |
5. For each serving: Portion 1 cup beef mixture; accompany with 1 tablespoon each green onions, tomatoes, almonds and raisins. Serve with hot cooked rice, if desired.
|Green onions, chopped||1 1/2 cups|
|Tomatoes, chopped||1 1/2 cups|
|Toasted almond slivers||1 1/2 cups|
|Raisins||1 1/2 cups|
|Cooked rice, hot|| as needed|
Nutrition information per serving: 358 calories; 15 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 8 g monounsaturated fat); 57 mg cholesterol; 180 mg sodium; 32 g carbohydrate; 4.6 g fiber; 25 g protein; 7.9 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 1.7 mcg vitamin B12; 3.6 mg iron; 3 mcg selenium; 5 mg zinc; 95 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron and zinc; and a good source of fiber and choline.