Szechwan Braised Beef Noodles with Baby Bok Choy
Sliced beef chuck tossed with Szechwan marinade, sautéed with ginger and garlic, and served in broth with noodles, bok choy and carrots.
Yield: 24 servings
| || |
1. Cut beef diagonally across the grain into 3/8-inch by 1-inch thick pieces.
|Boneless Beef Chuck (IMPS/NAMP 115)||8 pounds|
|Szechwan Beef Marinade:|| |
2. Mix cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, sherry and sesame oil. Toss with beef and marinate 15 minutes.
|Dark soy sauce||1/2 cup|
|Dry sherry||1/3 cup|
|Oriental dark-roasted sesame oil||2 tablespoons|
| || |
3. Remove beef and reserve marinade. Heat oil in large stock pot; brown beef.
|Peanut oil||1/3 cup|
| || |
4. Add garlic, ginger, chili paste with garlic and green onions to beef; sauté briefly. Add reserved marinade and sugar, soy sauce, chicken stock and water; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer approximately 30 minutes or until tender. Remove and discard garlic, ginger and green onions.
|Garlic cloves, peeled||12|
|Fresh ginger, peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks||8 pieces|
|Chili paste with garlic||1/2 cup|
|Green onions, halved||3 bunches|
|Dark soy sauce||1/4 cup|
|Chicken stock||1 gallon|
|Carrot slices, blanched||3 medium|
| || |
5. Serve about 1 cup noodles topped with 3 or 4 cubes of beef, 1 bok choy half and carrot slices. Cover noodles with about 2/3 cup hot soup per serving.
|Chinese egg noodles, cooked (fresh or dried)||4 pounds|
|Baby bok choy, halved, blanched||12 pieces|
Nutrition information per serving: 411 calories; 15.1 g fat(4.4 g saturated fat; 6.5 g monounsaturated fat); 103 mg cholesterol; 1053.5 mg sodium; 15 g carbohydrate; 1.3 g fiber; 34 g protein; 7 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.31 mg vitamin B12; 4 mg iron; 38 mg selenium; 6.6 mg zinc; 115 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline.