The Whole Enchilada
Spicy, braised beef, Cheddar cheese, jalapeno peppers, onions, garlic and mild chilies, all wrapped in a flour or corn tortilla.
Yield: 24 servings
| || |
1. Combine beef, broth, chili powder, cumin and pepper in stock pot.
2. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 2 hours or until tender.
3. Remove beef from braising liquid, reserving liquid.
4. Shred beef, using two forks; reserve.
|Beef Chuck, Shoulder Clod Roast (IMPS/NAMP 116A)||7 1/2 pounds|
|Beef Chuck, Chuck Roll, tied (IMPS/NAMP 116A)||7 1/2 pounds|
|Beef broth||1 1/2 cups|
|Chili powder||2 tablespoons|
|Ground cumin||1 1/2 teaspoons|
|Cayenne pepper||1/2 teaspoon|
| || |
5. Heat oil in large sauté pan until hot. Add onion, jalapeno peppers and garlic; sauté until tender. Stir in chilies.
6. Add reserved shredded beef and enough braising liquid to moisten.
|Vegetable oil||3 tablespoons|
|Onion, chopped||1 1/2 cups|
|Jalapeno peppers, minced||1/3 cup|
|Garlic, minced||1 tablespoon|
|Canned mild chilies, diced||12 ounces|
| || |
7. Spread small amount of taco sauce over bottom of two 20-3/4 x 12-3/4 x 2-1/2-inch steam table pans.
8. Place #12 scoop (1/3 cup) beef mixture on each tortilla. Roll tortillas around filling. Place tortillas seam side down in pan.
9. Top evenly with remaining taco sauce; sprinkle with cheese.
10. Bake, covered, in 375°F oven 20 to 30 minutes until hot and cheese is melted.
|Prepared taco sauce||1 1/2 quarts|
|Flour or corn tortillas, 5- to 6-inch||48|
|Cheddar cheese, shredded||3 cups|
| || |
11. For each serving: Place 2 enchiladas on serving plate. Garnish with sour cream and green onion.
NOTE: Four pounds, eight ounces cooked pre-shredded beef or cubed roast beef may be substituted for Beef Chuck.
|Sour cream|| as needed|
|Green onions, chopped|| as needed|
Nutrition information per serving: 484 calories; 21.1 g fat(8.2 g saturated fat; 9.0 g monounsaturated fat); 99 mg cholesterol; 996.9 mg sodium; 37 g carbohydrate; 2.2 g fiber; 33 g protein; 4.4 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 2 mg vitamin B12; 5 mg iron; 38 mg selenium; 9.0 mg zinc; 102 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of vitamin B6 and choline