Stuffed Chili-Pepper Beef
Top sirloin steak slices wrapped around black bean-stuffed chili peppers and grilled. Served with warm Avocado Sauce.
Yield: 24 servings
|Black Bean Stuffing:|| |
1. To make black bean stuffing; heat oil in large skillet over medium heat; add onions and garlic. Sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; stir in black beans, tomatoes, cilantro, oregano, salt, and black pepper; cool completely.
Stir in cheese.
|Olive oil||3 tablespoons|
|Onions, chopped||8 ounces|
|Garlic, minced||1 ounce|
|Cooked black beans, drained||12 ounces|
|Tomatoes, diced 1/4-inch||12 ounces|
|Cilantro, chopped||3 tablespoons|
|Fresh oregano, chopped||3 tablespoons|
|Ground black pepper||1/2 teaspoon|
|Queso blanco cheese, shredded||8 ounces|
| || |
2. Cut a slit lengthwise in each chile and remove seeds. Stuff each chile with 2 tablespoons black bean stuffing; place in hotel pan. Bake, uncovered, in 350°F oven 20 to 30 minutes until heated through; keep warm.
|Anaheim chile peppers, blanched, drained, cooled||24|
|Avocado Sauce:|| |
3. To make avocado sauce: Melt butter in skillet over medium heat; add onions and garlic. Sauté 4 minutes or until tender; remove from heat. Puree in blender or food processor with avocados, cream, key lime juice, salt and white pepper.
Keep warm over low heat.
|Onions, chopped||6 ounces|
|Garlic, minced||1/2 ounce|
|Avocados, peeled, pitted and cut into chunks||12 ounces|
|Whipping cream||1 3/4 cups|
|Key lime juice||1/4 cup|
|Ground white pepper||1/2 teaspoon|
| || |
4. Slice beef into twelve 3/8-inch thick slices. Cut each slice in half to make two 4-ounce steaks.
|Beef Loin, Top Sirloin Butt (IMPS/NAMP 184)||6 pounds|
| || |
5. For each serving: Quickly grill 1 beef slice about 4 minutes or to desired doneness, turning once. At the same time, grill 1 stuffed pepper about 4 minutes or until filling is hot.
Wrap beef around pepper; serve with 2-1/2 tablespoons warm avocado sauce. Garnish with 1 tablespoon corn and 2 teaspoons red pepper.
NOTE: 24 medium chile peppers of any variety may be substituted for Anaheim chile peppers.
|Whole kernel corn, cooked||1 1/2 cups|
|Red bell peppers, diced 1/4-inch||1 cup|
|Alternate Fresh Beef Cuts:|| || |
|Beef Flank Steak (IMPS/NAMP 193)||6 pounds|
Nutrition information per serving: 323 calories; 17 g fat(8 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 99 mg cholesterol; 257 mg sodium; 13 g carbohydrate; 4.1 g fiber; 30 g protein; 11.8 mg niacin; 0.9 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mg vitamin B12; 2.4 mg iron; 31.5 mg selenium; 5.4 mg zinc; 113.1 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium, zinc and choline; and a good source of fiber and iron