Lemon Grass Barbecued Beef
Marinated beef ribs grilled, stripped from the bone and rolled with cucumbers and rice noodles in rice paper. Served with traditional dipping sauce.
Yield: 48 rolls
| || |
1. Trim excess fat.
|Beef Short Ribs, cross-cut 1/4-inch thick (IMPS/NAMP 123C)||8 pounds|
| || |
2. Place minced lemon grass and next 5 ingredients into a blender; blend into a smooth paste. Add fish sauce, lime juice, sesame seeds and sesame oil; mix well and pour over beef.
Refrigerate, covered, overnight, but no longer than 24 hours. Turn frequently to coat.
Grill marinated beef over hot coals, about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Cut cooked beef into thin strips, discarding bones.
|Fresh lemon grass, mid-section only, finely minced||8 pieces|
|Shallots, peeled||12 small|
|Fish sauce||1/2 cup|
|Lime juice||1/3 cup|
|Sesame seeds, toasted||4 tablespoons|
|Oriental dark-roasted sesame oil||3 tablespoons|
| || |
3. Arrange lettuce leaves, julienned cucumber, mint and coriander leaves on a platter.
|Red lettuce leaves||48 large|
|Cucumbers, peeled and julienned||2 medium|
|Mint leaves||2 bunches|
|Coriander leaves||2 bunches|
| || |
4. Soak noodles in cold water until pliable (about 5 minutes). Cook in boiling water for 2 minutes until opaque. Drain. Rinse with cold water. Drain. Arrange on vegetable platter.
5. Dip 1 rice paper into a pan of cold water for a few seconds; lay flat on a damp towel until pliable like a tissue. Carefully fold in half and set on vegetables platter. Keep covered. Repeat with remaining rice paper and stack them.
To assemble individual servings: Top softened rice paper round with a lettuce leaf, then scatter with a few mint and coriander leaves. Add some cooked rice noodles, some julienned cucumber and strips of boneless beef.
Roll into a cylinder, tucking in ends, if desired. Serve with Dipping Sauce.
|Dried rice stick noodles||1/2 pound|
|Dried rice paper, 9-inch rounds||48|
|Dipping Sauce:|| |
6. Mix water, fish sauce, lime juice, garlic, and sugar in a blender. Strain into a dipping bowl. Add seeded chopped chilies, four or more, to taste.
|Fish sauce (nuoc mam)||2 cups|
|Lime juice||1 cup|
|Garlic cloves, peeled||8|
199.53 cal calories; 768.23 IU vitamin A; 14.81 g protein; 10.49 mg vitamin C; 0.05 mg thiamin-B1; 0.20 mg riboflavin-B2; 2.27 mg niacin-B3; 38.28 mg calcium; 14.12 g carbohydrates; 2.13 mg iron; 134.89 mg phosphorus; 318.07 mg potassium; 9.07 g total fat; 3.16 g T.S.F.A.; 1.11 g T.P.F.A.; 3.73 g T.M.F.A.; 36.60 mg cholesterol; 137.26 mg sodium;
Nutrition information per serving: 167 calories; 6 g fat(2 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 26 mg cholesterol; 1141 mg sodium; 17 g carbohydrate; 0.4 g fiber; 11 g protein; 2.4 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 1.1 mg vitamin B12; 1.6 mg iron; 8.3 mg selenium; 2.3 mg zinc; 42.5 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein and vitamin B12; and a good source of niacin, vitamin B6, selenium and zinc