Slices of marinated top round garnished with sweet gingersnap gravy.
Yield: 24 servings
| || |
1. Combine water, vinegar, onion, lemons, salt, bay leaves, peppercorns, and cloves in large nonreactive saucepan; bring to boil. Cool slightly.
2. Pour marinade over beef in nonreactive container. Cover and refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.
|Cider vinegar||1 1/2 quarts|
|Onions, cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks||4|
|Lemons, cut into 1-inch chunks||4|
|Whole bay leaves||8|
|Whole cloves||1 tablespoon|
|Beef Round, Top (Inside), Untrimmed (IMPS/NAMP 168)||12 pounds|
| || |
3. Remove beef from marinade; reserve marinade. Conventional Oven: Place beef in large roasting pan; cover with foil. Roast in 300°F oven for 19 to 20 min./lb. Or until tender. Cook/Hold Oven: Follow manufacturer's directions. Keep hot.
4. Meanwhile, combine reserved marinade and 1 quart water in large nonreactive saucepan. Bring to boil; boil 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Stir in sugar and ginger snaps; cook over medium heat until ginger snaps dissolve, stirring frequently.
6. Combine remaining 1 quart water and flour; stir into gravy. Cook until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in browning sauce; season with pepper. Keep hot.
7. For each serving: Plate 6 ounces sliced beef; ladle #8 dipper (1/2 cup) gravy over beef.
|Gingersnaps||6 - 8 ounces|
|All-purpose flour||1 cup|
|Browning and seasoning sauce||3 tablespoons|
|Ground black pepper|| as needed|
Nutrition information per serving: 412 calories; 10 g fat(3 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 143 mg cholesterol; 2458 mg sodium; 20 g carbohydrate; 0.6 g fiber; 56 g protein; 16.5 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 3.0 mg vitamin B12; 5.5 mg iron; 64.2 mg selenium; 9.6 mg zinc; 208.5 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline.