Top round braised in bell peppers and chilies, seasoned with Tiger Sauce and served with hot rice.
Yield: 24 servings
| || |
1. Trim beef round; cut into 2 x 3/4 x 1/4-inch strips.
2. Heat oil in large braising pan over medium-high heat. Quickly cook beef, garlic and pepper in oil.
3. Reduce heat to low; stir in remaining ingredients except bell peppers and chilies. Cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add bell peppers and chilies; continue to cook, uncovered, 15 minutes or until beef is tender.
|Vegetable oil|| as needed|
|Beef Round, Top (Inside), Untrimmed (IMPS/NAMP 168)||7 1/2 pounds|
|Garlic, minced||1/4 cup|
|Black pepper, freshly ground||1 tablespoon|
|Water||1 1/2 quarts|
|Onions, chopped||3 cups|
|Black peppercorn steak sauce||1 cup|
|Reduced-sodium soy sauce||1/3 cup|
|Tiger sauce||1/3 cup|
|Green bell pepper, diced||3 cups|
|Canned green chilies, diced||1/4 cup|
| || |
4. Combine flour and water; mix until smooth. Slowly stir flour paste into beef mixture to thicken as desired; discard remaining paste. Cook beef mixture, stirring, 5 minutes.
|All-purpose flour||2/3 cup|
|Cold water||1 cup|
| || |
5. For each serving: Serve 2/3 cup (#6 dipper) beef mixture over 1/2 cup hot rice.
VARIATION: For Prepared Beef Filled Bread Pockets, prepare recipe as directed above except decrease water to 1 cup. Cook as directed above; cool to room temperature.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out 2-1/2 ounce pieces bread dough into a circle 6 to 7 inches in diameter. Place 1/2 cup drained beef mixture in center of each circle. Bring edges of dough together over filling; pinch to seal.
Place buns seam-side down on greased baking sheets. Let proof 20 to 30 minutes. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 15 to 20 minutes or until buns are lightly browned. Makes about 24 bread pockets.
NOTE: Three quarters cup prepared steak sauce combined with 1/4 cup honey 1 teaspoon ground black pepper may be substituted for black peppercorn steak sauce.
Three tablespoons hot pepper sauce combined with 1 tablespoon may be substituted for tiger sauce.
|Hot cooked rice||3 quarts|
Nutrition information per serving: 388 calories; 10 g fat(3 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 89 mg cholesterol; 375 mg sodium; 35 g carbohydrate; 1.1 g fiber; 37 g protein; 12.4 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 1.9 mg vitamin B12; 4.6 mg iron; 47.2 mg selenium; 6.4 mg zinc; 131.8 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline.