Beef with Caramelized Onion Sauce
Broiled steak topped with a warm brothy onion sauce.
Yield: 2 quarts sauce
1. Melt butter; when beginning to turn brown add sugar; mixing well.
2. Add thinly sliced onions. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, approximately 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Mix cornstarch with Worcestershire sauce.
4. Add beef broth and cornstarch mixture to the onions. Bring mixture to a boil, and cook until slightly thickened.
|Onions, thinly sliced||2 quarts|
|Worcestershire sauce||1/3 cup|
|Beef broth||2 quarts|
| || |
5. For each serving: Broil steak to desired degree of doneness. Serve topped with 1/4 cup of the onion sauce.
NOTE: Portion size is 3 ounces steak cooked with 1/4 cup sauce.
|Top Butt Steaks, uncooked (IMPS/NAMP 1184A), 4 ounces each||24|
Nutrition information per serving: 225 calories; 9 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 81 mg cholesterol; 307 mg sodium; 7 g carbohydrate; 0.5 g fiber; 27 g protein; 10.9 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 2 mg iron; 31.1 mcg selenium; 4.9 mg zinc; 103.5 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron and choline.