Seared flank steak rolled around a filling of cheese and bread crumbs. Served with hot penne and tomato sauce.
Yield: 24 servings
| || |
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat; add onions and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add wine; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat; reserve.
|Olive oil||1/2 cup|
|Onions, chopped||3 pounds|
|Dry white wine||3 1/2 cups|
|Canned tomatoes, drained, coarsely chopped||8 pounds|
|Dried oregano||1/3 cup|
| || |
4. Combine Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, eggs, parsley, oregano and black pepper; reserve.
|Parmesan cheese, grated||12 ounces|
|Bread crumbs, fresh||5 ounces|
|Eggs, beaten||3 cups|
|Italian parsley, chopped||1/2 cup|
|Dried oregano||2 tablespoons|
| || |
5. Butterfly beef; pound to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 24 pieces, each about 3 x 4 inches.
6. To assemble beef rolls: Press 1 ounce cheese/bread crumb mixture onto each piece of beef. Roll up in direction of grain; tie to secure with cotton twine.
7. Heat oil in braising pan over medium-high heat; add beef rolls. Sear 10 to 15 minutes until browned on all sides.
8. Add reserved tomato sauce; bring to a boil, cover and simmer 45 minutes. Remove cover and simmer 30 to 45 minutes longer or until beef is fork-tender; keep hot.
|Beef Flank Steak (IMPS/NAMP 193), 3/4-inch thick||6 pounds|
|Olive oil||1/3 cup|
| || |
9. For each serving: Cut 1 beef roll into 1/4-inch slices. Plate beef; accompany with 4 ounces hot cooked pasta topped with 1/2 cup tomato sauce.
|Penne pasta, cooked, drained||3 pounds|
Nutrition information per serving: 519 calories; 22 g fat(7 g saturated fat; 10 g monounsaturated fat); 155 mg cholesterol; 758 mg sodium; 35 g carbohydrate; 5.2 g fiber; 38 g protein; 13.6 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 1.9 mg vitamin B12; 3.7 mg iron; 52.8 mg selenium; 5.7 mg zinc; 163.5 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline.