Mandarin Steak Salad
Grilled citrus-marinated steak served with sautéed shiitake mushrooms and a mixed green salad.
Yield: 24 servings
1. Prepare Marinade: Combine lemon juice, orange juice, vinegar, marmalade, ginger, garlic, white pepper and salt in saucepan. Simmer until reduced to 3 cups; cool.
2. Whisk in oil; reserve 1/4 cup.
|Fresh lemon juice||1 1/2 cups|
|Fresh orange juice||1 1/2 cups|
|Red wine vinegar||1 1/2 cups|
|Mandarin or orange marmalade||3/4 cup|
|Ginger, minced||2 tablespoons|
|Garlic, minced||4 cloves|
|Ground white pepper||1 tablespoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||6 tablespoons|
| || |
3. Marinate steak in remaining marinade 2 hours, covered and refrigerated.
4. Grill steak over hot coals 5 minutes each side.
|Beef Flank Steak (IMPS/NAMP 193)||6 pounds|
| || |
5. For each serving: Sauté 2 ounces mushrooms and a generous teaspoon shallots in oil until tender; season with additional salt and pepper.
6. Toss 1 cup greens with a scant tablespoon vinaigrette.
7. Plate greens. Fan 3 ounces steak, sliced thinly on the diagonal, on one side; arrange mushrooms on opposite side.
|Shiitake mushrooms, sliced||3 pounds|
|Shallots, minced||3 ounces|
|Peanut oil|| as needed|
|Mixed salad greens: mache, arugula, curly endive||6 quarts|
VINAIGRETTE: Whisk peanut oil, sherry wine vinegar and the reserved (1/4 cup) marinade. Season with salt and pepper, as needed.
|Peanut oil||3/4 cup|
|Sherry wine vinegar||6 tablespoons|
|Salt|| as needed|
|Ground black pepper|| as needed|
Nutrition information per serving: 281 calories; 15 g fat(4 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 66 mg cholesterol; 211 mg sodium; 11 g carbohydrate; 2.6 g fiber; 26 g protein; 11.9 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 1.4 mg vitamin B12; 2.2 mg iron; 30.6 mg selenium; 5.2 mg zinc; 97.6 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber, iron and choline