Seasoned ground beef with Cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and scallions, surrounded by tortilla chips.
Yield: 24 servings
| || |
1. Cut lettuce and tomatoes into bite-size pieces. Finely chop scallions. Combine lettuce, tomatoes and scallions and lightly toss.
|Iceberg lettuce||2 heads|
| || |
2. Add butter to large skillet. Add onion and sauté over medium heat until onion is tender.
3. Add the ground beef to the onion mixture. Cook to brown meat, stirring to crumble. Drain.
4. Sprinkle beef mixture with salt. Add water and 1 cup taco sauce. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.
|Ground Beef (IMPS/NAMP 136)||4 pounds|
|Salt|| as needed|
|Taco sauce|| as needed|
| || |
5. Mound cooked beef mixture on top of lettuce mixture in center of large salad bowl.
6. Surround beef mixture with the corn chips.
7. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese over top of beef.
8. Serve immediately. Offer additional taco sauce on the side.
NOTE: This is an excellent salad bar idea.
|Corn chips||1/2 gallon|
|Cheddar cheese, shredded||1 quart|
Nutrition information per serving: 716 calories; 41 g fat(13 g saturated fat; 13 g monounsaturated fat); 80 mg cholesterol; 626 mg sodium; 63 g carbohydrate; 6.1 g fiber; 28 g protein; 7.6 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.1 mg vitamin B12; 4.1 mg iron; 21.1 mg selenium; 6.5 mg zinc; 77.1 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of choline