Steak and Potato Salad
Warm potato salad topped with barbecue-marinated grilled steak, served with balsamic dressing and Spicy Onion Rings on the side.
Yield: 24 servings
|Barbecue Sauce:|| |
1. Combine barbecue sauce, ketchup, onion, garlic, bourbon, steak sauce, vinegar, horseradish and cajun spice; mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
|Prepared barbecue sauce||1 1/4 cups|
|Ketchup||1 1/4 cups|
|Onions, minced||2 ounces|
|Garlic, minced||1/2 ounce|
|Prepared steak sauce||3 tablespoons|
|White vinegar||2 1/2 tablespoons|
|Prepared horseradish||1 1/2 teaspoons|
|Cajun seasoning blend||1 teaspoon|
|Balsamic Dressing:|| |
2. Combine oil, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, onion and vinegar; mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
|Olive oil||2 cups|
|Red bell peppers, diced 1/4-inch||6 ounces|
|Green bell peppers, diced 1/2-inch||6 ounces|
|Onions, minced||4 ounces|
|Balsamic vinegar||3/4 cup|
|Potato Salad:|| |
3. Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
4. Combine dressing and potatoes, green onions, bacon, chives and dill; mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
|Mayonnaise||1 1/2 cups|
|Sour cream||1 cup|
|Dijon-style mustard||1/4 cup|
|Worcestershire sauce||1/4 cup|
|Small new red potatoes, quartered, boiled, drained and cooled||5 3/4 pounds|
|Green onions, sliced||12 ounces|
|Cooked, crumbled bacon||6 slices|
|Chives, chopped||1 ounce|
|Fresh dill, snipped||1 ounce|
|Spicy Onion Rings:|| |
5. Combine flour and Cajun spice; reserve. Combine buttermilk and hot pepper sauce; reserve. Dust onion rings in reserved flour mixture; drain well. Dust again in flour mixture. Deep-fry in preheated 350°F oil until golden brown and crispy.
Continue process with remaining ingredients. Keep hot.
|Peanut oil|| as needed|
|All-purpose flour||6 cups|
|Cajun seasoning blend||3/4 cup|
|Hot pepper sauce||1/4 cup|
|Onions, sliced 1/4-inch thick, separated into rings||2 1/4 pounds|
| || |
6. For each serving: Brush both sides of 1 steak with 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce each; grill to desired doneness, turning once. Thinly slice diagonally across grain. Reserve; keep hot.
7. Warm, separately, 3 tablespoons dressing and 3/4 cup potato salad.
8. Line plate with 2 ounces lettuce; top with warm potato salad. Place sliced steak over potato salad; drizzle warm dressing over all. Top with 2 ounces hot onion rings.
|Beef Flank Steak, cut into 5-ounce portions (IMPS/NAMP 193)||7 1/2 pounds|
|Bibb lettuce leaves||3 pounds|
Nutrition information per serving: 842 calories; 45 g fat(10 g saturated fat; 19 g monounsaturated fat); 100 mg cholesterol; 1553 mg sodium; 65 g carbohydrate; 4.4 g fiber; 40 g protein; 15.8 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 1.9 mg vitamin B12; 5.9 mg iron; 47.6 mg selenium; 6.1 mg zinc; 135.1 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline; and a good source of fiber