Barbecued Meatball Pitas
Meatballs tucked into pita pockets with chopped tomatoes and shredded lettuce.
Yield: 100 servings
| || |
1. Combine beef, onions, breadcrumbs, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix well.
2. Portion into about 3/4-ounce balls with a #50 scoop (600 balls). Place on ungreased sheet pans.
3. Bake in 375°F convection oven 12 to 15 minutes or 400°F conventional still air oven 15 to 20 minutes, until nicely browned. Drain.
4. Heat barbecue sauce. Add meatballs. Keep warm until serving.
5. Cut pita loaves in half to make two pita pockets. Open pockets and fill each half pocket with 1 ounce each of lettuce and tomato. Top with 3 meatballs and drizzle small amount of sauce over all.
6. Portion 2 pita halves per serving.
NOTE: Meatballs may be made ahead, kept warm in barbecue sauce on steam table and assembled as needed. Contributes to meal pattern requirements: 2 ounces meat/meat alternate; 1 cup vegetable/fruit; 1 bread serving.
|Ground Beef (IMPS/NAMP 136)||18 3/4 pounds|
|Onions, minced||2 quarts|
|Bread crumbs, dry||1 gallon|
|Prepared barbecue sauce||2 gallons|
|Pita loaves, 3 ounces each||100|
|Lettuce, shredded||6 gallons|
|Tomatoes, chopped||3 gallons|
Nutrition information per serving: 628 calories; 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 95 mg cholesterol; 1535 mg sodium; 95 g carbohydrate; 5.4 g fiber; 29 g protein; 12.8 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 1.7 mcg vitamin B12; 6 mg iron; 44.8 mcg selenium; 5.5 mg zinc; 109 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline.