Honey-Laced Barbecue Beef Sandwich
Seasoned beef shredded and simmered with vegetables, barbecue sauce and honey. Served on a sesame roll.
Yield: 24 servings
| || |
1. Trim beef round and cut into 3-inch chunks. Toss beef with garlic salt, rosemary and black pepper.
2. Heat oil in large braising pan over medium-high heat; add beef. Cook until beef is browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
|Round, Bottom (Gooseneck), Heel Out (IMPS/NAMP 170A)||10 pounds|
|Garlic salt||1/4 cup|
|Dried rosemary leaves, crushed||1/4 cup|
|Cracked black pepper||2 tablespoons|
|Olive oil||1/4 cup|
| || |
3. Add onions, bell peppers and bay leaves; cover with water. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 2-1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
4. Remove beef from braising liquid; reserve. Strain vegetables from braising liquid; discard bay leaves.
5. Shred beef, using 2 forks.
|Spanish onions, coarsely chopped||1 3/4 pounds|
|Green bell pepper, chopped||1 pound|
|Whole bay leaves||3|
|Water|| as needed|
| || |
6. Combine shredded beef, reserved vegetables, barbecue sauce and honey in braising pan; warm gently.
7. For each serving: Place 3/4 cup beef mixture into each roll. Plate sandwich.
|Prepared barbecue sauce||5 1/2 - 6 1/2 cups|
|Sesame rolls, 7 inches long, split||24|
|Alternate Fresh Beef Cuts:|| || |
|Beef Loin, Top Sirloin Butt (IMPS/NAMP 184)||10 pounds|
Nutrition information per serving: 622 calories; 15 g fat(5 g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 110 mg cholesterol; 1435 mg sodium; 72 g carbohydrate; 2.6 g fiber; 46 g protein; 13.8 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 2.2 mg vitamin B12; 5.3 mg iron; 46.2 mg selenium; 7.1 mg zinc; 157.8 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline; and a good source of fiber