Beef Lucky Wrappers
Grilled steak strips, finely shredded cabbage and vermicelli wrapped into rice paper and served with a Spicy Dipping Sauce.
Yield: 24 servings
|Spicy Dipping Sauce:|| |
1. Heat sugar and water in saucepan until sugar dissolves; cool. Combine sugar mixture, carrots, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce and pepper flakes. Chill until ready to use.
|Carrots, shredded||3/4 cup|
|Rice wine vinegar||3/4 cup|
|Fish sauce (nam pla)||6 tablespoons|
|Red pepper flakes||3 tablespoons|
2. Bring broth to a boil in saucepan. Add hoisin sauce and ginger; stir to combine. Cool.
|Beef broth||3 cups|
|Hoisin sauce||3/4 cup|
|Fresh ginger pieces, 1/16-inch thick||12|
| || |
3. Brush beef with oil; sprinkle with salt. Grill 4 minutes to rare, turning once. Transfer to warm platter; let stand 8 to 10 minutes. Slice beef across grain into thin strips; toss with marinade. Marinate, refrigerated, 3 hours.
|Beef Loin, Bottom Sirloin Butt, Flap (IMPS/NAMP 185A)||2 1/4 pounds|
|Olive oil||1 tablespoon|
|Kosher salt||1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon|
| || |
4. Heat oil in skillet over low heat. Add garlic and stir until golden; cool slightly. Add water and anchovies. Bring to a boil; reduce until water evaporates. Remove from heat; add vermicelli and toss to combine.
|Olive oil||3/4 cup|
|Garlic, chopped||3 tablespoons|
|Warm water||3/4 cup|
|Anchovies, drained and chopped||6|
|Chinese egg vermicelli, cooked and drained||3 pounds|
| || |
5. Toss together cabbage, radicchio and green onions in bowl; set aside.
|Cabbage, finely shredded||2 1/4 cups|
|Radicchio, finely shredded||3/4 cup|
|Green onions, thinly sliced diagonally||9|
| || |
6. To assemble wrappers: Dip 1 rice paper in bowl of warm water to soften slightly. Place on damp towel until pliable. Remove beef from marinade; discard marinade.
Layer approximately 1/3 ounce cabbage mixture on bottom 1/3 of softened rice paper. Top with 2 ounces vermicelli mixture, 1 ounce beef and 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves.
Fold bottom edge of wrapper over filling; fold in sides and roll up wrapper tightly to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Serve with 3 tablespoons dipping sauce.
|Warm water|| as needed|
|Cilantro leaves, loosely packed||3 cups|
|Alternate Fresh Beef Cuts:|| || |
|Beef Flank Steak (IMPS/NAMP 193)||2 1/4 pounds|
Nutrition information per serving: 504 calories; 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 34 mg cholesterol; 573 mg sodium; 78 g carbohydrate; 2.5 g fiber; 22 g protein; 8.4 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 0.7 mcg vitamin B12; 3.0 mg iron; 15.4 mcg selenium; 2.9 mg zinc; 47.1 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber, vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and iron.