Simple Saucy Beef Lasagna
Mozzarella and American cheeses melted on top of noodles and ground beef with a tasty tomato sauce.
Yield: 100 portions
| || |
1. Place ground beef in steam kettle. Cook beef until no longer pink, using kettle whip to break beef up into 1/4 to 1/2-inch crumbles. Turn off heat.
2. Thoroughly drain fat from beef by pulling whip through beef in circular motion and then zig-zag-stir through all sections of beef.
|Ground Beef (IMPS/NAMP 136)||12 pounds|
| || |
3. Add enough water just to cover beef. Stir by pulling whip through beef in circular motion and then zig-zag-stir through all sections of beef.
Thoroughly drain fat and liquid from beef, repeating zig-zag-stir procedure.
|Hot water||1 gallon|
| || |
4. Break noodles into thirds; add to beef.
|Lasagna noodles, uncooked||5 1/2 pounds|
| || |
5. Add water, tomatoes, tomato paste, dehydrated onions, parsley, basil, garlic powder, oregano, marjoram, pepper, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce; mix well.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 30 to 40 minutes or until noodles are tender and sauce is thick, stirring occasionally.
|Canned whole tomatoes, undrained, chopped||2 no. 10 cans|
|Tomato paste||1/2 no. 10 can|
|Dehydrated minced onion||2 cups|
|Dried parsley flakes||2/3 cup|
|Dried basil||1/2 cup|
|Garlic powder||1/3 cup|
|Dried oregano||1/3 cup|
|Dried marjoram||2 tablespoons|
|Ground black pepper||1 tablespoon|
|Brown sugar||1 tablespoon|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 tablespoon|
| || |
6. Spread 1/10 of the noodle/beef mixture evenly in bottom of each of five 20 x 12 x 2-1/2-inch steam table pans. Top with 1/10 of cheese.
Repeat layers once, using remains of noodle/beef mixture and cheeses. Cover pans with layer of parchment, then with aluminum foil.
7. Conventional oven: 350°F; convection oven: 300°F. Bake in preheated oven, covered, 30 minutes or until hot.
8. Remove from oven; let stand 20 minutes before cutting. Cut each pan into 20 pieces, 4 x 3 inches each.
|Part skim mozzarella cheese, sliced||4 pounds|
|Processed American cheese, shredded||3 pounds|
Nutrition information per serving: 330 calories; 14 g fat(7 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 60 mg cholesterol; 427 mg sodium; 28 g carbohydrate; 2.9 g fiber; 22 g protein; 6.5 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 1.6 mg vitamin B12; 2.5 mg iron; 14.0 mg selenium; 3.8 mg zinc; 41.7 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber, vitamin B6 and iron